So Many Laughs Happening in Bern
- Deborah Kade
- 10 minutes ago
- 30 min read
Bern is the de facto capital of Switzerland, yet it is only the fifth-largest city. Beyond its medieval beauty, Bern features a chilling child-eating fountain, unusual underground cellars, a river used as a public swim highway, and a relaxed local pace rooted in science. Toblerone, the famous chocolate with the Matterhorn on the wrapper, was invented in Bern in 1908.





The city lies in the heart of Switzerland on the banks of the River Aare and is surrounded by rolling hills. Bern is known for its well-preserved Old Town, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and for its numerous bears, which live in the Bear Park.
Historic events, spooky myths, fun anecdotes and even a world record – here are some (more or less) useful facts and (definitely) fun bits of information about Bern.
Fact 1 - "Chas und Brot" Cheese and Bread
"This doesn’t actually have anything to do with food: Behind Bümpliz, in the far west of Bern, there really is a neighborhood called Bread and Cheese! Legend even has it that this is where the Swiss cross originated on the day before the famous Battle of Laupen. To be able to tell friend and foe apart, the soldiers got white crosses sewed onto their uniforms."
Fact 2 - Slow, laid back and likable
"According to a study, the average walking speed of the Bernese is 1.354 meters per second, making Bern the slowest – sorry, most relaxed – city in the world. The Bernese also like to take their time when talking, producing an average of five syllables per second – the rest of Switzerland produces six. Might that be the reason why “Bärndütsch”, the Bernese dialect, is one of the most popular in the country?"
Another reason is they stop and look at the chocolates and pastry?




Maybe a game of chess where you take time thinking?

Fact 3 - Bear capital of Switzerland
"Everyone knows the famous “Bärner Müntschi”. But there are all kinds of other local beers to discover – the Bernese love brewing! The canton of Bern has the highest density of (micro)breweries in the country, making the city Switzerland’s beer capital. You can learn everything about Bern’s brewing culture on the educational and entertaining guided Beer Tour."
"Why does beer from the bottle taste different than beer from the glass? The answer to this and many other questions can be found on Bern's beer tour – and not only in theory: at four locations, two restaurant breweries and select beer bars in Bern’s Old City, the participants learn everything about beer and the process of brewing. Naturally, a professional beer tasting is also part of the program."
The following four locations offer exclusive insights into the diversity of the Bernese art of brewing.
Brewery Altes Tramdepot
"The brewery – the heart of the restaurant Altes Tramdepot. The “tram beers” are all unfiltered, natural and produced without any chemical additives. They are brewed right in the middle of the restaurant, four to six times a week."
Restaurant and bar Capitol
"Beer lovers in search of liquid gold often find themselves in the famous Rathausgasse in the heart of Bern. One of the popular bars there is Capitol. Alongside a range of creative drinks, the menu also features beers from the in-house brewery Riot Act Brewing in Zollikofen."
Beer café Au Trappiste
"A Beer Mecca in Bern’s Old City. The beer café offers a large variety of beers in a cozy, relaxed ambiance. There are several “Trappist beers” as well as a large selection of beers from different microbreweries. In line with the principles of the name-lending Trappists, part of the revenue is still donated to animals and people in need."
Garage brewery Barbière
The microbrewery in the back of Barbière produces high-quality special beers and ales, influenced by Belgian, English and American brewing culture. From stout and porter all the way to India pale ale – at Barbière, the brewers make beers they enjoy and even beers they’ve never tried before.
Fact 4 - Bern’s haunted house
"For centuries, the house on 54 Junkerngasse stood uninhabited and abandoned. It is shrouded in legend and said to be haunted – according to witnesses, its shutters regularly fly open between midnight and one in the morning. The house has now been renovated and extended. But have the ghosts moved back in?"
The property at Junkerngasse 54 is colloquially known as the "ghost house." It is the annex of the Béatrice von Wattenwyl House opposite at Junkerngasse 59. Historically, the building served as an external cellar and later as a stable for horses and a carriage house. At the end of 1929, Jacob Emanuel von Wattenwyl bequeathed both buildings to the Swiss Confederation.
"Eerie things are happening in the building at Junkerngasse 54. A woman dressed in black is said to wander through the rooms, now used for storage, precisely at midnight. A haunting in the heart of Bern's old town – a delightful treat for thrill-seekers, a terrifying prospect for the faint-hearted. For rationalists, however, it's a challenge to find a natural explanation for these supernatural phenomena.
In Bern, it's said that the goings-on at Junkerngasse 54 might have a geological origin: the sandstone rock on which Bern's old town stands has a crack. This crack runs directly beneath the cathedral and the haunted house. Every time the cathedral bells ring—and as everyone knows, they do so particularly frequently at midnight—vibrations reverberate through the house. If solving the mystery requires a geologist rather than a ghost hunter, Ueli Gruner is the right person to contact."
The geologist immediately clarifies: "It's an old misconception that Bern's old town is built on sandstone." Rather, the entire peninsula consists primarily of very old sediments from a previous glaciation of the Rhône Glacier. This sediment comprises a hard-bedded moraine and fine-grained glacial lake deposits. Only at the very top is there a thin layer from the last Ice Age, originating from the Aare Glacier. The sandstone, however, lies very deep near the cathedral, even below the current level of the Aare River. It only reappears at the surface far to the east of the Untertor Bridge. "Therefore, the sandstone, or rather the 'crack,' is unlikely to be the source of the vibrations," Gruner concludes.

I know I took a picture of the apartment, but I can't find it with my pictures. I'm not fibbing.

It is theoretically possible, however, that the vibrations from the cathedral propagate through the old moraine to the haunted house. "As is well known, the tower always moves slightly when the bells strike. Such movements can propagate spherically underground." Whether this is actually the case in the old town, however, he cannot say, Gruner explains. If it were, though, according to Gruner, the Black Lady would not only haunt Junkerngasse 54, but also all the neighboring houses. "But I don't believe—at least I'm not aware of it!—that the entire old town is a haunted house. Perhaps with the exception of Carnival," Gruner remarks. "I only know that there are occasional hauntings in the Erlacherhof..."
"The federal government finally finds a tenant for its haunted house.
No one had wanted to move into the vacant federal building in Bern's old town until now. The rent: exorbitant! After rejections from government employees, a tenant has finally been found.
"For centuries it stood empty, the house at Junkerngasse 54 in Bern. Since 1934 it has been owned by the federal government, along with the Von-Wattenwyl-Haus directly opposite. The latter, however, was frequently used – even some members of the city government stayed there, including former Federal Councillor Doris Leuthard (61).
While the elegant Von Wattenwyl House is known as a place steeped in history, Bernese folklore tells of ghosts haunting the building on Junkerngasse. Known as the "haunted house," it has become an unofficial tourist attraction."
No civil servant wanted to move in.
"But the ghost stories should finally be over. The federal government has finally found a tenant! The house is scheduled to be occupied from February 1st.
The responsible federal agency was actually looking for a tenant within the federal administration. However, no one wanted the space. Therefore, the federal government commissioned the company Mössinger Immobilien to find a tenant. Now, as the responsible federal agency explained upon request, they have finally succeeded."
Even if the new residents don't believe in ghosts, the monthly bill is likely to send shivers down the spines of even the bravest tenants. The rent is a staggering 5200 francs per month, plus 620 francs in additional costs.
Bathtub and garage
At least the ghost house is no longer empty and abandoned. For 1.5 million Swiss francs, the federal government has transformed the spartan rooms into a luxury apartment, as the public housing advertisement shows. The first floor contains a studio or office, the second floor an open-plan kitchen and dining area, and the third floor the living room.
The attic even has room for a freestanding bathtub. And although the property is located directly next to the Rathaus bus stop, a garage is being built on the ground floor – contrary to the original plans to house a shop there.
The Archaeological Service of the Canton of Bern had requested that no basement be built in the heart of Bern's UNESCO World Heritage Site. This meant the building services center had to be located on the ground floor – which would have reduced the planned retail space so drastically that the decision was ultimately made to build only a garage.
If there's any truth to the ghost stories and the new residents challenge the ghosts for their place, they might find refuge right across the street in the Von-Wattenwyl-Haus. It's currently empty.
Fact 5 - "Gadimer adis Stadick Bradit”
"Some of today’s most sought-after flats in the city are located in the area that actually used to house Bern’s lower class: the Matte neighborhood, located directly on the banks of the River Aare. Its original residents communicated in a kind of secret language known as Matteänglisch (Matte English). It even has its own association, the Matteänglisch-Club. The title of this paragraph says, “pass me a slice of bread”. By the way: the expression “Tunz mer ä Ligu Lehm”, which means the same thing, is often mistaken for Matteänglisch, but is actually the so-called Matte dialect."
Fact 6 - Making football miracles happen
"In the final of the 1954 World Cup in Bern, West Germany surprisingly beat the heavily favored Hungarian team. The German team won 3:2 after already being behind 0:2 after only eight minutes. The so-called Miracle of Bern helped the country out of its post-war depression and is sometimes seen as the “true founding day” of the German Republic."
Fact 7 - Bern's Bond Girl
"James Bond’s very first accomplice was played by Bern’s “Grande Dame” Ursula Andress from Ostermundigen. For her role as Honey Rider, she received a Golden Globe for most talented young actress in 1964. Now 89 years old, the former actress is still a role model for generations of actors."
Fact 8 - SCB
"Ice hockey plays an important role in the city of Bern. Every week, over 15,000 fans flock to the arena to watch the SC Bern play. This places the club among the top three in Europe in terms of spectator numbers. For years, the Bernese even headed the list. Their games have an incredible, unique atmosphere – go and see for yourself!"
Fact 9 - Onions Galore
"Before Covid, over 50 tons of onions and garlic were sold in a day at Bern’s famous annual “Zibelemärit” (Onion Market). Numbers dropped, but are slowly recovering: in 2025, they were at 35 tons – that’s about 50 times the combined weight of the three bears at Bern’s BearPark."
Fact 10 - The birthplace of “Schoggi”
"In 1879, Rudolf Lindt, the son of a pharmacist, invented the conching method in a Bernese pharmacy. This method made it possible to produce chocolate with the smooth and creamy texture that we know today. It is said that it was a mere coincidence – Lindt had simply forgotten to switch off the mixer. However it may be, we’re definitely enjoying the results!"
Fact 11 - From the University of Bern to the moon
"Who got to the moon first? The Solar Wind Composition Experiment of the University of Bern! Sounds strange, is true: at the moon landing over 50 years ago, the sail was stuck into the lunar soil even before the American flag. The aim was to measure and sample the solar wind, which was not possible on Earth."
Fact 12- Staying dry
"Thanks to its six kilometers of arcades, Bern is home to one of the longest covered shopping streets in Europe. Milan and London don’t stand a chance! Arcades are a feature of all Zähringen towns, by the way, and can therefore also be found in Fribourg, Murten and Freiburg im Breisgau."




Fact 13 - High Above the City
"To visit the Bern Minster, an impressive cathedral finished in 1893, you’ll need to be in good shape and not afraid of heights: 254 steps take you up to the highest steeple in the country. From the ground all the way to the very top, it stands an impressive 100.6 meters tall. The Minster, the city’s landmark, stands at 100 meters and is Switzerland’s tallest church tower.
Fact 14 - Our Guest - the Genius
"When Einstein lived in Bern, he was employed at the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property. At the same time, he worked on his own research and came up with some “relatively” good ideas: in 1905, he published his world-famous theory of relativity. Strolling through Bern’s old town, you’re bound to come across Mr. Einstein’s old residence, now a popular museum."




Fact 15 - The 89th Minute
"On April 28, 2018, history was made in Bern when BSC Young Boys played an epic match against FC Lucerne. The atmosphere: electric. The stadium: filled to capacity. An unforgettable day. In the 89th minute, Bern’s Jean-Pierre Nsame scored the winning goal, securing YB’s first title in Switzerland’s top football league in 32 years. Today, the match clock at Wankdorf stadium commemorates that historic day: as well as showing the final score of 2-1, the hands also indicate the famous 89th minute."
Fact 16 - Largest fan march in European Championship history
"The Women’s Euro 2025 in Bern moved the masses – both figuratively and literally, evoking emotions and drawing thousands of fans to the streets of the federal city. The tournament was marked by records, with Bern playing a central role. Within just two weeks, the world record for the largest fan march in the history of the Women’s European Championship was broken here: on July18, 2025, more than 25,000 people marched from Bern’s old town to Wankdorf Stadium before the women’s national team’s quarter-final match against Spain."
Fact 17 - Korenhuisbrug
"At the 2008 European Football Championship, some 60,000 merry Dutch football fans, dressed head-to-toe in their national color orange, made their way across the Kornhausbrücke bridge to Wankdorf Stadium. The bridge was unofficially renamed and an orange sign put up next to it with its Dutch designation, “Korenhuisbrug”.
Fact 18 - Let’s get you home
"Speaking of street signs: The street signs in the lower part of Bern’s old town are color-coded. After Napoleon’s invasion of the city, his troops invented the system with the five different colors to find their way back after a night of drinking. Whether or not the Bernese still benefit from the original purpose today is not documented."


Fact 19 - World heritage
"What does Bern’s old town have in common with the Taj Mahal, Machu Picchu and the Giza pyramids? It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and rightfully so. Be it during the cold winter months or in the heat of summer, you’ll discover all kinds of wonderful surprises in its historic cobblestone alleys."
Fact 20 - Bern, Not Zurich
"In many countries around the world, the largest city was chosen as the capital. Not so in Switzerland! There are many speculations as to why it’s Bern, with the most plausible being that it is centrally located and the land for the erection of the Parliament Building was free. Others, however, say that a fountain with flowing wine might have played a role. Whichever it may be, Bern has been Switzerland’s federal city since 1848."
Fact 21 - Vegan Treat
"263 kilograms and 22.7 meters – those are the measurements of the largest vegan pain au chocolat ever made. A truly sweet world record, set in February 2024 on Waisenausplatz in Bern. And... the best thing about it: spectators were invited to taste the treat after the record was official. Yum!"
Fact 22 - Keeping the World Record
"In 2012, Bern set up a new world record in “Böötle” (boating) on the river when 1,268 people in rubber dinghies floated down the Aare to Eichholz – in one day! Since then, there has been a kind of “Böötle” competition between Bern and the Japanese city of Morioka, the previous record holder."
Fact 23 - The fall of Teobold Weinzäpfli
"A story as unusual as the name of its protagonist: at the end of May 1654, Bernese student Teo Weinzäpfli (little wine cork) flew off a horse and fell from the Minster terrace – and survived! If you don’t believe the story, go and visit the place – there’s a plaque that commemorates the fall with a happy ending."
Fact 24 - Green Space
After Ljubljana in Slovenia, Bern has the second-highest proportion of green space of all European capitals.
Parliament Square and Parliament
Bern has been the seat of the Swiss government and parliament since 1848. The Bundeshaus in Bern is the heart of Switzerland’s democracy: the parliament holds its meetings under the grand dome, the west and east wings house parts of the federal government and administration. The large square in front of the building as well as its long terrace are popular, lively meeting places.
Parliament Square went from parking lot to Bernese joie de vivre
"Up until 2003, Bundesplatz was a dull, grey parking lot. On Tuesdays and Saturdays, however, it came (and still comes) alive with the bustling, colorful farmers’ market, selling fruit, vegetables and flowers. From 2003 to 2004, it was radically redesigned, getting rid of the parking lot and allowing for an unobstructed view of the magnificent Bundeshaus (Parliament Building). The square now has an elegant appearance, with its grand 180 square meters and slabs of dark gneiss from Vals.
In addition to the farmers’ market, there are also political manifestations, concerts, state visits, and sporting events that take place on Bundesplatz. Surrounding the square are the headquarters of the Swiss National Bank to its left .

The Berner Kantonalbank (Cantonal Bank of Bern) to its right as well as Bärenplatz with its many restaurants at the North end. Behind the Bundeshaus lies the Bundesterrasse (literally: federal terrace), a promenade that spans all the way from the Kleine Schanze park to the historic Bellevue Hotel which, once upon a time, saw heads of state, artists, actors, and secret agents come and go. The Bundesterrasse is a place where locals like to meet to chat, enjoy a sunset with a view, read a book, or sunbathe. From here, you can reach the main station in only five minutes on foot, and the popular Marzili neighborhood and the River Aare in ten.
The Federal Palace is a building housing the Swiss Federal Assembly (legislature) and the Federal Council (executive). It is the seat of the government of Switzerland and parliament of the country. The building is a listed symmetrical complex just over 300 meters (980 ft) long. It is considered one of the most important historic buildings in the country and listed in the Swiss Inventory of Cultural Assets of National Importance. It consists of three interconnected buildings in the southwest of Bern's old city. The two chambers of the Federal Assembly, the National Council and Council of States, meet in the parliament building on Bundesplatz.
"The oldest part of the Federal Palace is the west wing (then called "Bundes-Rathaus", now "Bundeshaus West"), built from 1852 to 1857 under Jakob Friedrich Studer. The building united the federal administration, government and parliament under one roof. To solve pressing space problems, the east wing ("Bundeshaus Ost") was built from 1884 to 1892 under Hans Wilhelm Auer. Under Auer's direction, the parliament building in the center was erected between 1894 and 1902 to conclude the project. At the beginning of the 21st century, the first comprehensive renovation of the Federal Palace took place."
"The west wing on Bundesgasse is the headquarters of two departments of the Federal Administration, and houses the Federal Chancellery and the Parliamentary Library; the Federal Council also holds its meetings here. Two other departments have their headquarters in the east wing on Kochergasse. The sobriety of the two wings corresponds to their main purpose as administrative buildings, contrasting with the more monumental parliament building constructed in neo-Renaissance style with a portico and a striking dome. The rich artistic decoration whose symbolism is based on the history, constitutional foundations and cultural diversity of Switzerland, as well as stone used from all parts of the country, underline the character of the parliament building as a national monument."






Cantons
Switzerland is made up of 26 member states called cantons. They have high autonomy, running their own local laws, schools, taxes, and police. Twenty are full cantons and six are historic half-cantons with one seat in the federal senate instead of two.


Each canton has its own constitution, parliament, government, and courts. The newest canton is Jura, which joined in 1979. Graubünden is the largest canton by land area, while Basel-Stadt is the smallest.
Zurich has the highest population.
List of All 26 Cantons
Aargau (AG), Appenzell Ausserrhoden (AR), Appenzell Innerrhoden (AI), Basel-Landschaft (BL), Basel-Stadt (BS), Bern (BE) (Home to your current location in the Bernese Oberland), Fribourg (FR)
Geneva (GE), Glarus (GL), Graubünden / Grisons (GR), Jura (JU), Lucerne (LU, Neuchâtel (NE),
Nidwalden (NW), Obwalden (OW), Schaffhausen (SH), Schwyz (SZ), Solothurn (SO), St. Gallen (SG), Thurgau (TG), Ticino (TI), Uri (UR), Valais (VS), Vaud (VD), Zug (ZG), Zurich (ZH)

Casino

Casino Bern, temporarily called Kultur Casino Bern at the turn of the millennium, is a concert hall at Casinoplatz 1, previous address Herrengasse 25, in Bern and cultural heritage of national importance, KGS-No. 8996. From 2017 to September 2019, Casino Bern was closed and extensively renovated. Since then, the house has had several gastronomy concepts – Bistrobar, Salon d’Or, Cheftisch and guild table – and combines them with a cultural offer, which includes the Bern Symphony Orchestra in particular.
"The history of today’s Casino Bern dates back to the years around 1890, when the first casino had to give way to the new Bundeshaus. The new area was chosen as the area of the former Barfüsser monastery and the later university, which at that time belonged to the state (canton) and became free by the relocation of the university to the Länggasse. However, the city finances did not allow construction of a municipal casino. The burger community of Bern offered support to the municipality in 1902. In 1903, a contract was signed between the state, the municipality and the burger council, according to which the burger community committed itself to the construction of the casino, which was to serve to carry out “large festivities, musical performances and exhibitions”.
The new casino was built from 1906 to 1908 by the architects Paul Lindt and Max Hofmann in the style of the late Baroque classicism with a striking hip roof. After only two years of construction, the building was handed over to the company in 1909 with festivities. From the very beginning, the casino also housed a restaurant and several smaller premises for the gastronomy in addition to the cultural establishment. The restaurant's tour used to be broadcast to a tenant. Since 2019, the burger community has been operating the casino independently."
Bears
Bern is the city of bears and you can see real bears in the Bear Park. Bear statues can be found all over the city, from the Bear Park to the Bear Fountain. Legend has it that Berthold V of Zähringen founded the city on the spot where he killed his first bear.
"The Bernese bears are at home in the BearPark in the middle of the city. The “Mutzen” live exclusively in the park on the slopes of the River Aare, with a view of Bern’s UNESCO-listed Old Town. The 5,000 square meter area stretches from the former bear pit down to the banks of the Aare and can be experienced without any obstacles. This is because the “BäreBähnli” creates a fast wheelchair-friendly connection between the banks of the Aare and the upper part of the park. The panoramic inclined lift can be used free of charge. It’s a unique experience to glide through the park past the bears’ noses!
As we approached the BearPark, I could see the bears run to the tunnel that connects the new addition to the old bear pit.



The old pit is where they hide treats for the bears. Today it looked like carrots and fruit.








Summer in the BearPark
"From summer to late autumn, the bears are preoccupied with searching for food and finding enough to eat. A bear’s life also includes regular bathing and taking naps in the afternoon sun or in the shade.
The bears are fed in keeping with the seasons, with a lot of vegetables and little fruit, and sometimes there is also meat or fish. As autumn approaches, they are fed an increasing amount of fruits and berries, which contain sugar, as well as nuts with a high fat content, so that the animals can build up a fat store for the winter.."
"The bear has long served as symbol of Bern. Legend has it that, in 1191, Duke Berthold V of Zähringen vowed to choose as namesake the first animal his hunt met in the wood that was to be chopped down for his new city. As Konrad Justinger’s chronicle puts it:
Then they caught a bear first, which is why the city was called Bern; and so the citizens had their coat and shield, which was a black bear in a white shield, going upright.
The first records of bears being kept in the city come from 1513, when the chronicler Valerius Anshelm described how the Bernese returned home victorious from the Battle of Novara, carrying both the captured standards and a living bear as spoils of war.
The first bear pit was at what is still called the Bärenplatz (Bear Plaza). The current pit is the fourth such enclosure, following on from pits at various locations around the city, and was first opened in 1857. In 1925, a smaller adjacent pit was added to raise the young bear cubs.





It was so hot today. The bears especialyy enjpyed a dip in the water.




Between 1994 and 1996, the Bärengraben was completely renovated to improve conditions for the bears. Despite this, the keeping of bears in what still remained a bear pit led to many complaints. This, as well as new legal requirements, prompted a rethink of how the bears should be kept.
As a result, the BärenPark was opened in 2009, on the steeply sloping land between the Bärengraben and the bank of the River Aare. The original bear pit and the BärenPark were linked by a tunnel, allowing the bears to make use of both spaces. The smaller pit was no longer used by the bears, but was used instead to give access to the Bärengraben's shop and to provide a performance space.
In 2015, Schräglift Bärenpark ("Bärenbähnli"), an inclined lift, was built to improve accessibility."

While we were on Kramgasse, a motorcade swiftly passed us by. I did get a picture of the last vehicle, but we all noticed a German flag.
Minster


Bern Minster is a Swiss Reformed cathedral (or minster) in the old city. Built in the Gothic style, its construction started in 1421. Its tower, with a height of 100.6 m (330 ft), was only completed in 1893. It is the tallest cathedral in Switzerland and is a Cultural Property of National Significance.
"It is a three nave basilica without a transept. The entire cathedral is 84.2 meters (276 ft) long and 33.68 m (110.5 ft) wide. The central nave is 39.37 m (129.2 ft) long by 11.10 m (36.4 ft) wide and is 20.70 m (67.9 ft) high. The two side naves are very similar in dimensions, the north nave is 52.50 m (172.2 ft) long, while the southern one is slightly longer at 52.72 m (173.0 ft). They are both 6.45 m (21.2 ft) wide and 10.40 m (34.1 ft) high. The altar house and choir together are 25.20 m (82.7 ft) long, 10.92 m (35.8 ft) wide and 19.40 m (63.6 ft) high. The cathedral has a single tower in the west, which is 100.60 m (330.1 ft) high. Below the tower, there is a 10.15 m (33.3 ft) long by 10.46 m (34.3 ft) wide, tower hall."
"There are a total of ten bays in the building. The central nave has five of these bays. Each of the side naves has two bays, with side chapels built against the exterior walls. The last bay is within the choir.
The central nave walls are supported by fourteen flying buttresses. Each buttress starts at a decorated column which rises above the roof of the side naves and side chapels. The buttresses rise at an angle of 43° 30’. The lower side of the buttresses are decorated with egg-shaped cut outs, with vesica piscis and spandrel designs."
"The majority of the building is built from local sandstone. The vaults are built of brick. In the 18th century, limestone sheathing was added to the pillars. Most of the sandstone came from a quarry at Ostermundigen. Additional material came from three other quarries, each with differing color and quality. The various stone types were used more or less randomly throughout the entire building. The pillar bases, capitals, windows and sculptures are all from the highest quality, blue sandstone from the Gurten quarry, south of Bern. During reconstruction projects in the 19th and 20th centuries, several other sandstone types were used."
The Last Judgement
"Over the main portal is one of the most complete Late Gothic sculpture collections in Europe. This collection represents the Christian belief in a Last Judgment where the wicked will be separated from the righteous. This sculpture shows the wicked naked on the right, while the righteous stand clothed in white on the left. In the center is Justice, with Saints and the wise and foolish virgins around her. In the center stands Michael the Archangel with a raised sword."




"The sculptures of the Last Judgement were the only statues in the Minster to survive the iconoclasm of the Protestant Reformation. The 47 large free-standing statues are replicas (the originals are in Bern History Museum), and the 170 smaller figures are all original. The Last Judgement was the work of one sculptor, Erhard Küng from Stadtlohn, Westphalia, which gives the collection a unity of design. The Justice sculpture is the only one that was done by another artist. It is signed by Daniel Heintz, who was the master builder after 1571. The rest of the statues were carved some time between 1460 and 1501, most likely between 1460 and 1480."
"The trumeau to each side and between the doors has thirteen life-size figures. The middle figure and the two figures on each side of the door are raised by about half their height above the other figures. The figures on the left of the door represent the five Foolish Virgins while the ones on the right are the Wise Virgins. Below the outer two Wise Virgins and the two Foolish Virgins, two faces peer out of the wall on each side. On the wise side, they represent the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon. On the foolish side, they represent Zephaniah and, maybe, Isaiah. In the center, between the two doors, is Justice flanked by two angels. Below Justice and the angels is a scroll commemorating the laying of the cornerstone in 1421."






"The archivolt features three rows of figures. The inner two rows are attached to the wall and lie at an angle which follows the curve of the portal. The outer, third row features statues that stand upright on individual platforms. The inner row contains five angels with the instruments of the Passion. The second row contains eight Old Testament prophets. The outer row is Jesus, Mary and the Apostles, including John the Baptist and Paul, but not Judas Iscariot."
Heaven or Hell

Heaven

Hell

"The tympanum is 4.75 m (15.6 ft) wide at the base. It is made up of thirteen individual sections. The bottom row is made up of three plates located about 10 cm (3.9 in) above the lintel. It is 38 cm (15 in) deep and about 50–60 cm (20–24 in) high. On the left side of the tympanum, it contains two rows of figures and on the right, three. The lower figures are nearly fully three-dimensional, while the upper figures are mostly carved in relief, with only the head and shoulders projecting out of the stone. Above these three plates, the remaining ten plates are arraigned in three rows. The bottom row is made up of four plates which rest on a 30–40 cm (12–16 in) high base. The plates are high relief carvings, each about 38 cm (15 in) deep and an average of about 1 m (3.3 ft) high. The figures were all carved with a rock pick. In the center of the tympanum is the Archangel Michael. He stands on his platform which is projected forward from the rest of the figures. The entire tympanum represents Heaven and Hell in the Last Judgment."
The Aare is to the side of the Minster.
In one section the water was quite shallow.



The BearPark can be seen from this location.







Noticed a group of people enjoying lunch.

We remembered the motorcade looked like it turned onto a road in the direction of the Minster.
Walking down toward the BearPark we came upon the motorcade outside Maison Béatrice of Watteville
Built in 1446, the Maison Béatrice de Watteville is located in the old town of Bern. In 1934, Emanuel de Wattewille bequeathed the patrician house to the Swiss Confederation on behalf of his wife Beatrice who disappeared in 1929.
Today, the Federal Council receives its guests. The house also serves as a framework for signing agreements and political interviews. This is where, before each parliamentary session, the famous “interviews of the House of Watteville” of the Federal Council with the leaders of the government parties take place.

So, the people eating lunch, had to be an official from Germany.
German Federal Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul was in Bern today (August 19, 2026) to meet with Swiss Federal Councillor and Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis
Visit Details & Agenda
Event: Participated in the ministerial segment of the annual Swiss Ambassadors’ Conference.
Core Topics: Bilateral relations between Germany and Switzerland, European security, and support for Ukraine.
Key Discussions: Addressed geopolitical tensions, stability in Europe, and cooperative efforts regarding relations with the European Union.
Later on the motorcade did pass us by.
City of Time
The Zytglogge is not only a landmark, but also one of the oldest functioning tower clocks in Europe.
"The Zytglogge also time bell tower is a clock tower from the Middle Ages with an astronomical clock and carillon.


Every hour on the hour, people gather in front of the Zytglogge (Clock Tower) to watch this unique spectacle. That’s when the puppet show starts and you can see bears, a jester, a golden rooster and even Cronos, the god of time, ringing in the new hour.




Inside the tower, however, time seems to have stood completely still: medieval mechanics, thick stone walls and solid wooden beams transport visitors back in time.Those who dare to climb the 130 steps or so to the top are rewarded with the breathtaking views of the UNESCO-listed old town, its rooftops, terraces and alleyways. On a clear day, you can even see the peaks of the Bernese Oberland.
"The astronomical clock, known as the astrolabe, and the musical mechanism dating from 1530 have made the tower particularly famous.
Just before the hour changes, a crowing rooster announces a wonderfully whimsical puppet show:

Bears dance in a circle, a jester mischievously strikes the hour too early, quarter-hourly chimes sound from the tower, Cronos, the god of time himself, turns the hourglass around, and finally, the gilded knight Hans von Thann strikes the bell in time with Cronos’ swinging scepter.

Next to this spectacle, the hands of the astrolabe take a little longer to turn, but with no less precision: The astronomical clock above the entrance of the Zytglogge (Clock Tower) is a true work of art. The rotating spheres are an exact representation of the celestial bodies, with the earth at its center and the sun, moon and stars orbiting around our planet.


This complex representation of the northern hemisphere always shows the current sign of the zodiac, the phase of the moon, the time of sunrise and sunset, and the date. Frescoes of the five planetary gods from Roman mythology adorn the space above the astrolabe."




Bells and bell-striker
The great hour bell, cast by Johann Reber, has remained unchanged since the tower's reconstruction in 1405. It has a diameter of 127 centimeters (50 in), a weight of 1,400 kilograms (3,100 lb) and rings with a nominal tone of e'. The inscription on the bell reads, in Latin:"In the October month of the year 1405 I was cast by Master John called Reber of Aarau. I am vessel and wax, and to all I tell the hours of the day."

When the great bell rings out every full hour, struck by a large clockwork-operated hammer, passers-by see a gilded figure in full harness moving its arm to strike it. The larger-than-life figure of bearded Chronos, the Greek personification of time, is traditionally nicknamed Hans von Thann by the Bernese. The wooden bell-striker, which has been replaced several times, has been a fixture of the Zytglogge since the renewal of the astronomical clock in 1530, whose clockwork also controls the figure's motions. The original wooden Chronos might have been created by master craftsman Albrecht von Nürnberg, while the current and most recent Hans is a 1930 reconstruction of a Baroque original. The bell-striker has been gilded, just like the bells, since 1770.
Below the hour bell hangs the smaller quarter-hour bell, also rung by a clockwork hammer. It was cast in 1887 to replace the cracked 1486 original."
Clock faces and façade decorations
"Both principal façades, East and West, are dominated by large clockfaces. The Zytglogge's first clockface was likely located on the plinth, but was moved up to the center of the shaft during the tower's 15th-century reconfiguration.
The eastern clock face features an outer ring of large golden Roman numerals, on which the larger hand indicates the hour, and an inner ring on which the smaller hand indicates the minutes. The golden Sun on the hour hand is pivot-mounted so that it always faces up.
The western clock face has similar hands, but is an integral part of Victor Surbek's 1929 fresco "Beginning of Time". The painting depicts Chronos swooping down with cape fluttering, and, below the clockface, Adam and Eve's eviction from Paradise by an angel."



Astronomical clock
"The dial of the Zytglogge's astronomical clock is built in the form of an astrolabe. It is backed by a stereographically projected planisphere divided into three zones: the black night sky, the deep blue zone of dawn and the light blue day sky. The skies are crisscrossed with the golden lines of the horizon, dawn, the tropics and the temporal hours, which divide the time of daylight into twelve hours whose length varies with the time of year.
Around the planisphere moves the rete, a web-like metal cutout representing the zodiac, which also features a Julian calendar dial. Above the rete, a display indicates the day of the week. Because leap days are not supported by the clockwork, the calendar hand has to be reset manually each leap year on the 29th of February. A moon dial circles the inner ring of the zodiac, displaying the moon phase. The principal hand of the clock indicates the time of day on the outer ring of 24 golden Roman numerals, which run twice from I to XII. It features two suns, the smaller one indicating the date on the rete's calendar dial. The larger one circles the zodiac at one revolution per year and also rotates across the planisphere once per day. Its crossing of the horizon and dawn lines twice per day allows the timing of sunrise, dawn, dusk and sunset.
The painted frieze above the astronomical clock shows five deities from classical antiquity, each representing both a day of the week and a planet in their order according to Ptolemaic cosmology. From left to right, they are: Saturn with sickle and club for Saturday, Jupiter with thunderbolts for Thursday, Mars with sword and shield for Tuesday, Venus with Cupid for Friday and Mercury with staff and bag for Wednesday."
Movement
"The clock dial has been dated to either the building phases of 1405 or 1467-83, or to the installation of the Brunner clockwork in 1527-30. Ueli Bellwald notes that the planisphere uses a southern projection, as was characteristic for 15th-century astronomical clocks; all later such clocks use a northern projection. This would seem to confirm the dating of the clock to the 1405 or 1467/83 renovations.
A clock is documented in this tower since 1405, when a new bell was installed.
Albert Einstein lived in Bern from 1903 to 1905 and developed his Theory of Relativity here. The Einstein House gives visitors a chance to see where the great physicist completely revolutionized our understanding of space and time.
Albert Einstein spent part of his life in Bern. He came to the Swiss capital in 1902 and took up a post at the federal patent office. In 1903, he and his wife, Mileva, moved into an apartment in the third floor of Kramgasse 49, in the heart of the Unesco World Heritage Site.
"Today, the apartment is open to tourists. It is furnished in the style of Einstein’s time and documents the life of the physicist during his years in Bern. This period included 1905 – Einstein’s annus mirabilis (extraordinary year) – which was his most creative period of scientific discovery."
Theory of Relativity
"The theory of relativity comprises two physics theories by Albert Einstein: special relativity and general relativity, proposed and published in 1905 and 1915, respectively. Special relativity applies to all physical phenomena in the absence of gravity. General relativity explains the law of gravitation and its relation to the forces of nature. It applies to the cosmological and astrophysical realm, including astronomy.
The theory transformed theoretical physics and astronomy during the 20th century, superseding a 200-year-old theory of mechanics created primarily by Isaac Newton. It introduced concepts including 4-dimensional spacetime as a unified entity of space and time, relativity of simultaneity, kinematic and gravitational time dilation, and length contraction. In the field of physics, relativity improved the science of elementary particles and their fundamental interactions, along with ushering in the nuclear age. With relativity, cosmology and astrophysics predicted extraordinary astronomical phenomena such as neutron stars, black holes, and gravitational waves."
City of Fountains
Colorful figures, skillfully crafted pillars and detailed decorations – those are the characteristics of Bern’s fountains. The medieval works of art were once important meeting points for locals and still form an essential part of Bern’s image.
"In Bern, water is omnipresent. There are over 100 historic fountains in Bern’s Old City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The history of Bern’s public water supply dates all the way back to the Middle Ages: in the 13th century, there were already several standpipes in the city of the Zähringen people. The water came from the city’s underground stream, wells and probably cisterns. The main supply was the city’s creek. It was used as sewage, transported water to fight fires and connected – and still connects – Bern’s fountains. Around 1550, the city replaced the then wooden fountains with elaborate stone ones.
Do you know that the water in all the fountains is drinkable?
In the past, the public fountain played an important role in the everyday hustle and bustle of the city. Apart from supplying water, it also had an important social role.
It was a watering hole where people met up, chatted, exchanged news, settled disputes, discussed politics and made deals. Women and maids carried large copper pots to the fountains to bring back water for household use, water carriers filled their containers and brought them to people’s homes for a small fee, and waggoners came to water their horses. The lower, smaller basins were built specifically for animals and are a reminiscence of the times when cows and horses is my favorite were led through the streets and alleys of Bern.
Kindlifresserbrunnen (Ogre fountain, Kornhausplatz)
This is my overall favorite fountain the city.
The fearsome Ogre sits enthroned on a column. Some helpless, half-naked children are in a sack next to him, while others are crawling over the frightening man, probably trying to escape from the guy. His lascivious look and wide-open mouth reveal that he is not to be trifled with as a child is disappearing into a bag. There are various theories about the meaning of this fountain. The most plausible is that the fountain represents an educational measure and the frightening figure is intended to instill fear in children in order to teach them good behavior.





Zähringerbrunnen (Zähringen fountain, Kramgasse, upper part)
Near the historic Zytglogge (Clock Tower) and at the end of Kramgasse, a bear stands upright on a fountain, overlooking the street. At its feet sits a cub, eating grapes. Bern’s heraldic animal is reminiscent of the founders of the city, the Zähringen people. The large bear is wearing a helmet on its head and carrying a banner in one paw and a shield in the other. Both of these accessories are emblazoned with a golden lion on a red background.






Simsonbrunnen (Samson fountain, Kramgasse, middle part)
The figure on the fountain depicts the biblical hero Samson, dressed in roman garb. The statue is the personification of a popular Renaissance-era attribute: strength. With his bare hands, the strong man grabs the lion’s mouth, ready to tear it apart. On his belt, he carries a weapon and butcher’s tools. This detail suggests that the fountain was donated by the Butcher’s Guild. It is therefore no wonder that in 1687, people started calling the fountain “Butcher’s Fountain”. It didn’t get its current name until about 150 years later.

Mosesbrunnen (Moses fountain, Minster Square)
Just like its historical archetype, Moses Fountain on Minster Square has had a long journey: the predecessor had to be removed from the square because of damaged feet, shattered Tablets and complete decomposition, and was replaced by a water fountain composition. The Moses statue became privately owned and adorned a garden shed and later the antiques chamber of the former Church of St. Anthony. In 1791, the fountain was finally replaced with the current exemplar. The statue was made by sculptor Nikolaus Sporrer from Konstanz and represents Moses in a long, golden-blue robe. With his right hand, he is pointing to the second Amendment on his Tablets of the Law.






Need to stay hydrated on these hot summer days.


A strawberry ice cream cone is even better!




Cooling off in the Aare







Fun filled day with many laughs!!!!!!




Comments