Do You Think Sherlock Holmes Ate Meringues?
- Deborah Kade
- 3 hours ago
- 8 min read
Today I visited Meiringen which is known for the Sherlock Holmes Museum and birth place of meringues.
'Sherlock Holmes is a fictional detective created by British author Arthur Conan Doyle. Referring to himself as a "consulting detective" in his stories, Holmes is known for his proficiency with observation, deduction, forensic science and logical reasoning that borders on the fantastic, which he employs when investigating cases for a wide variety of clients, including Scotland Yard."



"The character Sherlock Holmes first appeared in print in 1887's A Study in Scarlet. His popularity became widespread with the first series of short stories in The Strand Magazine, beginning with "A Scandal in Bohemia" in 1891; additional tales appeared from then until 1927, eventually totaling four novels and 56 short stories. All but one are set in the Victorian or Edwardian eras between 1880 and 1914. Most are narrated by the character of Holmes's friend and biographer, Dr. John H. Watson, who usually accompanies Holmes during his investigations and often shares quarters with him at the address of 221B Baker Street, London, where many of the stories begin."
"Though not the first fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes is arguably the best known. By the 1990s, over 25,000 stage adaptations, films, television productions, and publications had featured the detective, and Guinness World Records lists him as the most portrayed human literary character in film and television history. Holmes's popularity and fame are such that many have believed him to be not a fictional character but an actual person; many literary and fan societies have been founded on this pretense. Avid readers of the Holmes stories helped create the modern practice of fandom, with the Sherlock Holmes fandom being one of the first cohesive fan communities in the world.The character and stories have had a profound and lasting effect on mystery writing and popular culture as a whole, with the original tales, as well as thousands written by authors other than Conan Doyle, being adapted into stage and radio plays, television, films, video games, and other media for over one hundred years.





















A life-size bronze statue stands here in Sherlock's memory! It features 60 riddles, all belonging to a Holmes novel! The solution is close at hand – right here in the Sherlock Holmes Museum! You can also learn more about the novel "The Final Problem" here at Conan Doyle Square.

The last (final) problem
"In this adventure, we encounter Sherlock Holmes' greatest adversary, Professor James Moriarty, for the first and last time. Holmes' path had crossed with Moriarty's several times before, thwarting his plans on each occasion.'
"Therefore, he sends men to silence him. This fails, however, and Holmes returns home with minor injuries. There, he tells his best friend, Dr. John H. Watson, what happened and promptly persuades him to travel with him to the continent, not only to put Moriarty's henchmen behind bars, but also himself. The two manage to escape Moriarty and travel to Switzerland."
"Their "holiday" in Meiringen is short-lived. As the two are on their way to Rosenlaui, they are stopped by a messenger boy who delivers a message for Watson. In it, Peter Steiler, the innkeeper of the small English inn where they were staying, requests that he come immediately, as an English lady is dying and demands an English doctor. Watson, of course, doesn't hesitate, leaving Holmes with the messenger boy as his guide, and hurries back to Meiringen."
"When he asks the innkeeper about the lady, the innkeeper knows nothing about a sick Englishwoman. After a brief conversation, a terrible suspicion creeps over Watson. He immediately returns to the Reichenbach Falls. There he finds only the traces of the final struggle between Holmes and Professor Moriarty."





In the center of Meiringen, in the English Church, the authentic and only world-renowned replica of the parlor of the house at 221b Baker Street is exhibited.
The Museum was opened on May 4, 1991 on the 100th anniversary of the death of Sherlock Holmes under the auspices and in the presence of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London and Dame Jean Conan Doyle, daughter of the author of the Sherlock Holmes detective stories, in the English church in Meiringen. In the Museum you can see carefully collected authentic exhibition pieces of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes and the Victorian era. It has the unique feature of a faithful reconstruction of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson's living room in Baker Street 221B, London. It is carefully and authentically reconstructed according to clues that are to be found in the stories.
The Museum was designed by the English architect couple John and Silvia Reid.
In the Museum you can see carefully collected authentic Exhibition pieces of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes and the Victorian era. It has the unique feature of a faithful reconstruction of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson's living room in Baker Street 221B, London. It is carefully and authentically reconstructed according to clues that are to be found in the stories.
Meiringen was one of the first places in Switzerland to hold English church services. First in the hotel "Zum wilden Mann" (now known as Parkhotel du Sauvage) and later in the Zeughaus chapel. Due to a shortage of space, construction of the English Church began in 1867. Financial problems led the church being handed over to the Bishop of London in 1876. During the first Meiringen village fire in 1879, the church remained miraculously unscathed, only to be destroyed during the second fire in 1891. The then owners of the "Sauvage" requested the chapel be rebuilt with few changes. They managed to put the chapel back into operation that same year. The English church was used by detained British soldiers during WWI – with the proviso that the bell was not to be rung. After the war very few English tourists came and consequently English church services were deemed no longer necessary. In 1937, the church came into the possession of the "Sauvages", who mainly used it for storing empty bottles. During WW2 it served as a soup kitchen.
In 1974, the village of Meiringen bought the English Church and shortly after it was declared a historical monument. For ten years it was used for school purposes. On July 2, 1984, Arthur Reinhard laid the foundation stone for the 30-year era of the English Church Gallery with his exhibition on the history of the English Church.
In 1990, the English Church was rebuilt and renovated. In the following summer, on May 5, 1991, the Sherlock Holmes Museum was opened in the basement.



The display of 221B Baker Street is in the basement of the church.




















































The three types of hats worn by Holmes



As I was existing the church, the volunteer and I heard the city fire alarm. Unfortunately, we saw smoke up the mountain. This is a dangerous situation as it is very dry! They have had a very hot summer with very little rain.



Then, smoke was spotted nearby.

They were out flying today!
Meiringen Air Base, also known as the Unterbach Military Airfield, is a Swiss military airbase located near the hamlet of Unterbach and the town of Meiringen. It is one of three main airbases of the Swiss Air Force.
The airfield is situated in the steep-sided alpine valley of the Aare River, with its single runway parallel to the river. It is flanked to the north by the main road to Meiringen, the river, and the Brünig railway line. To the south, taxiways connect the airfield to aircraft caverns built within the valley side.
"Meiringen Air Base started operations on December 1, 1941. The base played an important role in the 1946 C-53 Skytrooper crash on the Gauli Glacier: the rescue operation was launched and coordinated by the Meiringen air base. The rescue of persons on a glacier with airplanes had never been done before. After World War II, an aircraft cavern was built in Meiringen. In the 1970 years the construction of another cavern tunnel was started for the A-7G Corsair II, but because the A-7G was not bought, this construction was completed as an ammunition storage cavern. With the introduction of the F/A-18 Hornet the aircraft cavern was rebuilt again and received another tunnel so the aircraft can go straight in and out at the same time. In the inside maneuvering without crane is now possible."
"In 2004, militia Squadron 8 "Destructors", equipped with the F-5E Tiger, moved to Meiringen from Buochs Airport. In 2007, professional Fliegerstaffel 11 (Fighter Squadron 11) "Tigers", equipped with the F/A-18, moved from Dübendorf Air Base."
"The airfield of Meiringen is still important for the Swiss Air Force. With the closure of Sion Air Base in 2016, it will be one of only three fighter bases, along with Payerne Air Base and Emmen Air Base. It is the home base of two fighter squadrons, militia Squadron 8 "Destructors", equipped with the Northrop F-5E Tiger, and Berufsfliegerkorps (professional) Fliegerstaffel 11, equipped with the F/A-18 Hornet."
"Meiringen is the only Swiss airbase that uses an aircraft cavern in daily operations. The runway is equipped with retractable arresting gear devices (used by the F/A-18 and in emergencies by the F-5) at both ends.
"For the region and the town of Meiringen, the operation of the aerodrome has both positive and negative effects; noise emissions by the military jets are a point of concern for the affected population, as well as for tourism businesses. The airfield is, however, with some 190 labor and 25 training places, an important economic factor for the region. The airfield has a small museum that is open on Wednesday afternoons from May to October; different pieces of equipment are exhibited as well as an Aérospatiale Alouette III and an F-5 Tiger."
"In 2023, a private inn overlooking the air base was raided by the authorities on suspicions of harboring a Chinese intelligence operation."

The base as seen from the train.
"When people think of meringues in Switzerland, the district of Gruyère usually comes to mind. In this region, these light-as-air sweets are traditionally served with double cream. However, the birthplace of meringue is often considered to be Meiringen. At the same time, multiple theories exist for its place of origin, one of which involves Napoleon. "


"The story goes that an Italian chef named Gasparini, who worked in Meiringen, borrowed the name of the town for his new creation made of leftover egg whites and sugar. Some sources indicate this took place during the 17th century, while others say it occurred around 1720.




Meiringen holds the record for the world’s longest meringue, an honor proudly bestowed upon the town in 1986.
Frutal Versandbäckerei. It’s located on the main street in town, at18 Bahnhofstrasse. You’ll find a bakery counter filled with Frutal’s famous meringues and much more. A Tatzelwurm, for example, is a special éclair decorated to resemble a mythical creature from local folklore. Next to the bakery is a tea room. In this area, you can sit and order meringues accompanied with fresh fruit and whipped cream or ice cream.



"Frutal Meringues Production, situated at 73 Hausenstrasse in Meiringen. It is renowned for its meringue production. As part of the FRUTAL Versandbackerei AG, a family-owned bakery, it processes approximately 35,000 tons of sugar and 20,000 liters of egg whites annually into meringues."
Meringues are a dessert that originated in Meiringen and were probably invented around 1600 by the Italian confectioner Gasparini. In addition to the French King Louis XV, meringues were also savored by the Queen of England. Her remark "Oh, it's like a kiss" is said to have led to the name meringue.
Recipe for 16 pieces
What you need:
3 egg whites, approx. 120g (cold)
1 pinch of salt
120g sugar
a few drops of lemon juice
How to make it:
Preheat the oven to 90°C (fan-assisted) or 100°C (top/bottom heat). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff, add the sugar, stirring constantly. Add the lemon juice and continue beating until the mixture is glossy and very firm.
Pour the meringue mixture into a piping bag, pipe the meringues onto the prepared baking tray and leave to dry immediately in the center of the preheated oven for approx. 3 hours. Wedge a ladle between the oven door and leave the oven slightly open. Then leave the meringues to dry out in the switched-off oven.




Comments