San Antonio, Texas continued
Japanese Tea Garden
The Japanese Tea Garden was one of the places cousin Ann wanted to visit while in San Antonio. The garden certainly did not disappoint! We even made time to enjoy the garden and some ice tea and pastry.
In 1899, the San Antonio Water Works Company, through its president, George W. Brackenridge, donated 199 acres to the City of San Antonio for a public park. This tract comprises the largest portion of the park that today bears Brackenridge's name. After some improvements were made, the park officially opened to the public in 1901. At that time, there was still an operating rock quarry west of the park on City-owned property. The quarry had been leased by the city to stone cutters since the mid-1800s and in 1880, Alamo Portland and Roman Cement Company (later called Alamo Cement Company) began to use the quarry. When the company needed rail lines to expand production, it purchased a new site and closed its Brackenridge Park operation in 1908.
Between the quarry and San Antonio River to the east was an 11-acre tract of land owned by Mrs. Emma Koehler, widow of Pearl Brewery owner Otto Koehler. Mrs. Koehler donated this land to the City in 1915 for a public park and its location immediately adjacent to the abandoned quarry posed a challenge for City Parks Commissioner, Ray Lambert.
Lambert ultimately came up with the idea of a lily pond which eventually became the Japanese Tea Garden. With plans from his park engineer and no money, Lambert was able to construct the Garden. Between July 1917 and May 1918, Lambert used prison labor to shape the quarry into a complex that included walkways, stone arch bridges, an island and a Japanese pagoda. The garden was termed the lily pond, and local residents donated bulbs to beautify the area. Exotic plants were provided by the city nursery and the city Public Service Company donated the lighting system. The pagoda was roofed with palm leaves from trees in city parks. When completed, Lambert had spent only $7,000. In 1919, The American City magazine reported that "the city of San Antonio has recently completed a municipal lily pond and a Japanese Garden which we believe are unique."
Lambert continued to improve the garden, and in 1920, at the base of the old cement kilns, a small village of houses was constructed, termed by the San Antonio Express as "another dream of the artist of the Lily Pool, Ray Lambert, Commissioner of Parks." The village was designed to be a tourist attraction for the manufacturing and sale of Mexican arts and crafts and an outdoor restaurant. It is not known how long the village operated. At the entrance to the gardens, artist Dionicio Rodriguez replicated a Japanese torii gate in his unique style of concrete construction that imitated wood.
In 1926, at the city's invitation, Kimi Eizo Jingu, a local Japanese-American artist, moved to the garden and opened the Bamboo Room, where light lunches and tea were sold. After Mr. Jingu's death in the late 1930s, his family continued to operate the tea garden until 1942, when they were evicted because of anti-Japanese sentiment during World War II and the garden's name was changed to "Chinese Tea Garden".
It was at this time the Chinese style entry was added, with the inscription being "Chinese Tea Garden". This oriental design, cement sculptured entry was purportedly designed by Maximo Cortez and constructed by Dionicio Rodriguez. Mr. Rodriguez was a Mexican National whom is credited with a number of cement sculptures in San Antonio. He kept his techniques secret, working always inside a tent and using tools he made on the site from tin, wood, etc. His process consisted of a metal rod base on which he developed three dimensional designs with layers of especially prepared cement. He did not divulge either his process of cement sculpture or coloring of the cement layers. He spoke no English and a few co-workers learned by observation only. he is credited with having created various other sculptures throughout the United States, in addition to those in the San Antonio area.
In 1983, the San Antonio city Council ordained that the original name of "The Japanese Tea Garden" be restored to the site in consideration of the number of Japanese Americans whom had fought honorably on the side of the United States during WWII.
A Chinese-American family operated the facility until the early 1960s, and it was known as the Chinese Sunken Garden. In 1984, the area was rededicated as the Japanese Tea Garden in a ceremony attended by the Jingu's children and representatives of the Japanese government.
In recognition of the Tea Garden's origin as a rock quarry that played a prominent role in the development of the cement business, as well as its later redevelopment as a garden, the site is designated as a Texas Civil Engineering Landmark, a Registered Texas Historic Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The garden underwent a renovation beginning in May 2007 in which the ponds and waterfall were repaired, along with adding a re-circulation system to provide a safe habitat for new Koi and aquatic plants. This phase, which cost $1,587,470, was a public-private partnership with the city of San Antonio, the San Antonio Parks Foundation and the Friends of the Parks. A grand reopening ceremony was held on March 8, 2008, which was attended by the Lambert family, descendants of Park Commissioner Ray Lambert, as well as numerous members of the Jingu family, including Mabel Jingu Enkoji, who was born in the Jingu House and lived at the garden as a child.
The San Antonio Parks Foundation contributed $100,000 toward the Master Plan for the Garden, as well as $800,000 toward the restoration of the ponds and waterfall. The Foundation continues to raise funds for on going revitalization of the Japanese Tea Garden.
San Antonio Zoo
The San Antonio Zoo is located in the city's Brackenridge Park. The 35-acre (14 ha) zoo has a collection of over 3,500 animals representing 750 species. The zoo's annual attendance exceeds one million.
What is now known as the San Antonio Zoo began in 1914 when Colonel George Washington Brackenridge, one of the city's leading citizens, placed bison, deer, monkeys, African lions, and bears on land he had deeded to the city. The land became Brackenridge Park and Golf Course.
The San Antonio Zoo opened two of the first cageless exhibits in the United States in November 1929 that offered visitors views of the animals not available in caged exhibits. The Richard Friedrich Aquarium was dedicated in 1948, and the Hixon Bird House, funded through the efforts of Colonel Frederick C. Hixon, opened in 1966. The zoo's bird collection is now one of the world's largest.
The San Antonio Zoo housed the first herd of addra gazelle in captivity in 1969 and continues to be active in the breeding program for this critically endangered species. Due to the former hoofstock quarantine point in San Antonio, the San Antonio Zoo has historically had a wide variety of hoofstock species.
The zoo is involved in breeding a number of endangered species including black rhino, leopard, golden lion tamarin, dama gazelle, Attwater's prairie chicken, black mangabey, African lion, black-footed ferret, Komodo dragon, Andean condor, and Caribbean flamingos.
The zoo opened Phase II of Africa Live in 2010. Phase I, which opened in 2007, brought a new exhibit for hippos with underwater viewing area and one for new Nile crocodiles as well as many other smaller animals. Phase II contains Angolan colobus monkeys, okapi, African hunting dogs, rock hyrax, and various species of birds contained in the second largest aviary in the world. On June 18, 2013, a two-headed turtle, along with three one-headed turtles hatched. The two-headed turtle was later named Thelma and Louise after the 1991 film. Thelma and Louise later died on July 29, 2014, from unknown causes.
Even though I am on vacation, I always find time to stop in a church to pray and light candles for family and friends. Ann and I stopped in Saint Joseph's Church. It was erected by the German speaking Catholics of San Antonio. The corner stone is dated May 8, 1868.
San Antonio Botanical Gardens
The garden was first conceived in the 1940s by Mrs. R. R. Witt and Mrs. Joseph Murphy, who organized the San Antonio Garden Center. The two went on to develop a master plan for a city botanical center in the late 1960s. The site of the master plan was a former limestone quarry and waterworks area owned by the city. Voters approved $265,000 in bonds in 1970, which was the catalyst for funding the new gardens. Ground was broken for the new facilities on July 21, 1976 and the San Antonio Botanical Gardens officially opened to the public on May 3, 1980.
The gardens have had two major additions since opening. On February 29, 1988 the Emilio Ambasz designed Lucile Halsell Conservatory opened to the public and later that same year the historic Sullivan Carriage House was moved brick by brick to the botanical garden. Restoration of the building began in 1992, with formal dedication in 1995. The botanical gardens is also undergoing an extensive expansion project including expanding some of the gardens,a local farmers market,and more parking.
The third Walgreen store. This is before the "S" was added.
The Menger Hotel is a historic hotel located where the Battle of the Alamo happened. It is quite a unique hotel!!! It is a must see place to visit. Spend some time walking through the lobby and the side hallways. It is a step back through history.
William and Mary Menger opened the Menger hotel in 1859 in San Antonio’s Alamo Plaza. The plans for the hotel arose through the popularity of William Menger’s brewery. The Mengers sold the property in 1881 to the Kampmann family. William Menger had emigrated from Germany to America in 1847. Menger settled in San Antonio and resumed his previous trade as a cooper and brewer. With his German roots Menger brought beer to San Antonio. He opened the Menger Brewery in 1855 on the battle-grounds of the Alamo (now known as the Alamo Plaza).
In 1858 the Mengers hired an architect, John M. Fries, along with a contractor, J. H. Kampmann, to complete the two-story, 50-room hotel. Up until this point most accommodations in San Antonio were boarding houses, and there were few breweries. The Menger hotel opened in February 1859 and became an overnight success.
The hotel also withstood the trials and tribulations brought on during the time of the family’s ownership. The Mengers witnessed the events that led up to the Civil War and later experienced the turmoil of the Reconstruction era. As the prospect of war gained momentum in southern Texas, it brought many soldiers to San Antonio. The large number of soldiers stationed in the city created a need for more boarding houses, and the Mengers happily provided rooms for the soldiers.
After the war began, it was a struggle to maintain the hotel's business. The Menger family decided to put the building to use to aid in the war effort. Due to its slow service and hard-to-come-by help, the hotel shut down its guestrooms during the war; however, they maintained the dining room in order to feed military personnel. The hotel also offered space for medical care of wounded soldiers. Once the war ended the hotel resumed full operations.
Unfortunately, after a little over a decade of turning the Menger Hotel into San Antonio’s finest, William Menger died in 1871. However, Mary and her son Louis William continued to run the hotel and brewery. Mary quickly ran an announcement in the local newspaper letting San Antonio know that she would carry on the business and her husband’s death “would cause no change in affairs” within the hotel or brewery. Mary went about business as usual and she made plans to further enlarge the hotel to better serve the huge influx of guests she was receiving. She bought neighboring land in order to add rooms to the hotel. In a one-year period Mary hosted more than 2,000 guests in her hotel, and on one night alone the hotel housed 165 guests. Her success was undeniable.
On February 19, 1877, the first train steamed into San Antonio, which further contributed to the growing success of the hotel. This allowed for a higher volume of travelers through the city and began to promote the growth of the Alamo Plaza. Alamo Plaza became the location of San Antonio’s first federal post office, which opened in 1877. The hotel offered a mail chute on each floor for guests to use. Outgoing mail was collected and taken to the post office. Mary was aware that the building was lacking in the latest technologies such as bathrooms, proper water closets, or bells. She took it upon herself to make the necessary adjustments to the establishment.
By 1879, Mary had gas equipment installed so the hotel could have its own source to use for its gas lighting. Even though Mary and her son Louis maintained the hotel to the best of their abilities, Mary was becoming too old to take care of it and her son was not interested in taking over. Thus the decision was made to sell the hotel to its original contractor Major J. H. Kampmann. The Hotel was sold on November 7, 1881 at the price of $118,500 which in today's currency would round to $2.8 million. Kampmann also bought all the furniture in the hotel for $8,500 or $203,000 in today's currency.
Over the hotel’s history, there have been different managers and management groups of the Menger Hotel, including Major John Hermann (J.H) Kampmann, Hermann Kampmann, William Louis Moody Jr, and Hector R. Venegas. Major John Hermann (J.H) Kampmann managed the hotel from 1881 until 1943. He was the contractor that was hired in 1858 to build the hotel. It has been said that he was the best person possible to take over the management of the hotel. During those years, Major J.H. Kampmann made various necessary changes to the hotel's structure. Kampmann was first and foremost a builder, and architect, credited with building the original Menger Hotel. As rights of the hotel came under his possession, Kampmann, had the power to add stories and additions to the hotel and make it more contemporary. In light of the many criticisms brought about in the local newspapers about how the hotel was lacking, Kampmann immediately began to remodel it. Soon there was the addition of an east wing, a relocation of the kitchen, another lobby and lastly the dining room was expanded so as to accommodate 160 people. Most importantly, he made it possible for water to be piped to every room. A laundry was added and, most significantly, private bathrooms contributed to a resurgence of the hotel's popularity, because few hotels offered such extravagances.
Major Kampmann, much like William Menger, had wanted to provide an establishment that allowed travelers to enjoy a hotel that delivered the best. His dedication to the hotel could be seen in how much he improved it. Overall, the citizens of San Antonio felt that the hotel once again boasted elegance in that it now included modern elements. As documented in an 1885 survey, the hotel had access to an elegant bar room, billiard hall, and barbershop which were connected to the hotel.
Kampmann was very proud of the hotel and he felt that it was his best accomplishment. He is considered to have matured very quickly and on his own, due to his family’s condition. They were stable economically, but not wealthy or poor. He was also very strong willed and ambitious. J.H. Kampmann eventually retired leaving ownership of the hotel to his son Hermann Kampmann. J.H. was in Colorado Springs when he died on September 6, 1885 when he was sixty six years old.
In addition to William Menger and J.H. Kampmann, Hermann Kampmann can also be considered as a significant part in the hotel's management. Son of J.H. Kampmann, Hermann was an avid businessman whose business practices made him one of the wealthiest people in San Antonio. His father had previously made many renovations to the hotel, but Hermann felt that there could be even more additions and restorations. His quest to change the building started by adding a new saloon, preferably one that evoked a certain old English Charm. In his ambition to have an authentic bar room he arranged for an architect to study the House of Lords pub in England so he could base his saloon design off of.In 1887, Hermann Kampmann added new saloon area to the hotel. This bar would come to be a huge success among both the local citizens as well as famous celebrities.
The Menger Bar, as it is known, gave off an elegant appeal with its "ornate mahogany tables and chairs... large mirrors... fine crystal and sterling silver." The bar of the hotel is connected to Teddy Roosevelt, because it is where he recruited and met with his Rough Riders organization.
Additionally, Hermann added a fourth floor to the Blum Street side of the hotel. The ever-growing demand for rooms became the hotel's most pressuring need. Besides the creation of the bar and a new story, Hermann also brought the latest technologies to the hotel such as steam elevator and laundries, electric lights and an artesian well.
Also around this time, a reading area was also added to the hotel. There were “Many early writers and chroniclers of life in the Southwest…” that came to the Menger who wrote and worked in this room. By 1897 Kampmann had the kitchen remodeled once again, and included new furnishings and fixtures in the dining room.
As business began to flourish Hermann found it difficult to manage it, and thus gave active management rights to J.W. McClean and J.H. Mudge while he still claimed the final say in major decisions. He would die in 1902 due to a buggy accident.
Ownership of the hotel was passed to all of the Kampmann family as there was no individual family member who wanted to take over. Although they were not interested in the hotel business they attempted to renovate the hotel in 1909 by contracting architect Alfred Giles. He was to replace the front wall with a French facade, add marble floor to the lobby, construct an arched opening from the lobby to the patio, create a patterned tile floor in the Victorian lobby and lastly create Corinthian columns to the oval shaped lobby. All of these additions made the Menger Hotel the most elegant in San Antonio which was crucial to its success for new hotels were now opening around the area such as the Crockett Hotel and Gunter Hotel. In 1912, the Kampmann family employed architect Atlee B. Ayres to renovate the dining room and add 30 guestrooms.
After World War I the family could no longer provide for the hotel to host large social events and by 1929 the hotel had been so neglected that it was removed from the guidebooks. The Great Depression also contributed to the hotel's abandonment for not enough revenue, due to lack of guests, was being made to make the repairs and renovations. The hotel would enter what is known as its "declining elegance" period. The 1930s and 1940s were no different for the hotel's improvements so much so that plans to tear it down to build a parking lot were being discussed.
The hotel was set to be remodeled in the year 1945, and William Lewis Moody Jr. was seen as being the best person in all of Texas to handle the Menger Hotel.
Moody earned a law degree from the University of Virginia in 1851 and he arrived in Texas in 1852. Moody founded the National Hotel Corporation in 1928, and this Corporation took over the hotel on June 30, 1944.
Following his ownership of the hotel, Moody had made plans to include new plumbing, electrical fixtures, new decorations and a complete restoration of the Spanish patio gardens. In addition he wanted to have the floor coverings replaced with carpeting, completely renovate guestrooms and public rooms as well as have the kitchen newly equipped. Moody also had the paintings restored by local artist Ernst Raba, the antique furniture was to be refinished and refurnished, and lastly the Colonial Dining room was to be restored. In 1948 the lobby that J.H. Kampmann had constructed in 1881 and several guestrooms above it were to be torn down and replaced with a new lobby and 3 floors of air conditioned guestrooms above.
In all of his plans to renovate the hotel, Moody had decided to leave the original portion that William Menger had built. On March 2, 1951, Moody was recognized by the San Antonio Conservation Society for his great work in remodeling the Menger and for making it a great landmark in San Antonio. In 1953, a swimming pool became a part of the Menger Hotel. Moody had a great long life, and accomplished and succeeded in many areas. There were many other members of the Moody family that were involved with the Menger Hotel, and still are.
William Lewis Moody Jr. died in 1954 and passed the rights to the hotel to his oldest daughter Mary Moody Northern. The upcoming World's Fair in 1968 dubbed the Hemisfair by local San Antonians would have Mary spending $1.5 million on a five story addition with 110 guestrooms to accommodate the new coming tourists. This new establishment designed by architects Atlee B. Ayres and Robert Ayres, would be named the Motor Hotel which included drive-in convenience and valet parking. In 1977 Mary Moody Northern died and gave ownership to her nephew Robert L. Moody Jr. who would be the new chairman of the Moody Foundation. By 1991 the Hotel Corporation also known as the Gal-Tex Corporation finished its restoration on the 8,000 square feet retail space on the Alamo Plaza side of the hotel. This restoration cost a total of $9 million. Some of these people include: Colonel William Lewis Moody, Mary Moody Northen, and Robert L. Moody.
The Menger is currently owned by Galveston, Texas-based 1859 Historic Hotels, Inc.
The Menger Hotel has been the scene for many important events over its history. There have been many famous guests of the Menger since its founding. These guests include Presidents: Ulysses Grant, Benjamin Harrison, Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, William H. Taft, William McKinley, Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Lyndon Johnson, George H. W. Bush, and Bill Clinton. There have been a few military figures that have visited the hotel, including: Sam Houston and Robert E. Lee. Also other public figures such as Oscar Wilde, have been guests at the Menger Hotel.
Sculptor Gutzon Borglum and son, Lincoln review plans for Mount Rushmore monument in suite in the Menger Hotel, 1928.
Babe Ruth in front of Menger Hotel, 1930. Ruth was in San Antonio to play in a game between the New York Yankees and San Antonio Indians.
Another popular draw to the hotel was the cuisine offered by Mary Menger herself. Mary had long been preparing meals for her guests since her boarding house and she felt doing so at the Menger Hotel would strengthen its appeal. Although expensive, Mary made sure to buy all of her food from the best markets available. The Mengers would purchase the best beef, chicken, fresh country butter and eggs the markets had to offer. They also prided themselves on providing their guests with the finest delicacies of the time. They sent out a wagon with benches that would drive around downtown picking up businessmen in order to take them to the hotel to dine on the delicious fare. Mary made up quite a menu for her guests, which included a selection of soups, beef, pasta, veal, and a variety of tasty desserts. All of these was served at a single sitting and diners left feeling quite satisfied. Mary was also known for throwing lavish dinner parties for celebrity guests that only further proved her culinary skills.
Many of Mary Menger's recipes are still offered today in the hotel's Colonial Dining Room. A guest favorite is the mango ice cream. Have to put this place on the list for my next visit.
The hotel holds the unofficial title of "The Most Haunted Hotel in Texas." The Menger claims to host 38 different spirits including Richard King and Sallie White, a maid at the Menger who was murdered by her husband and buried at the hotel's expense.
When was the last time you saw or used one of these? Yes, the Menger has so much history!
We walked to places downtown but to get to the Japanese Garden, the zoo, the botanical garden, etc., we took the bus. For $2.75 you can purchase an all day pass. Great value!!!!! The VIVA buses are exceptionally clean and the drivers are so very helpful! We even asked some locals for restaurant recommendations. I even called the number to find out when our bus would arrive. Wonderful service- especially for visitors. The bus driver even stopped by the Madhatters Tea House and Cafe which wasn't a scheduled stop.
VIA Metropolitan Transit, the public transportation system for the Greater San Antonio Region, provides a convenient way to see San Antonio’s most-popular destinations. VIVA, VIA’s new service line takes you to popular attractions and landmarks in the heart of San Antonio, including landmarks, museums, shopping and entertainment.
Three distinct VIVA routes connect riders with historic places, opportunities to learn and discover, classic and contemporary art, and popular dining and entertainment spots. The VIVA Culture route connects riders with Southtown, King William, Downtown, the Pearl and the Broadway Cultural Corridor. The VIVA Missions Route brings visitors to the Alamo and the San Antonio Missions World Heritage Site, including Missions Concepcion, San Jose and San Juan. The VIVA Centro conveniently connects riders to Centro Plaza and St. Paul Square.
What comes to mind when you think of food associated with San Antonio? I bet some of the answers are BBQ, TexMex and Mexican. Well, cousin Ann doesn't eat them. However, I did get her to try BBQ. We even tried BBQ at two different places- County Line Ribs on the River Walk and Augie's which was recommended by people on the bus. One of the riders said he made the best BBQ in town but Augie's was probably second best. Ann liked County Line and I like Augies better.
One of our favorite breakfast places was Shilo's, a few blocks from our hotel. It is a veteran German deli serving hearty breakfast items, sandwiches, soup and homemade root beer in a 19th century building.
Ann especially enjoyed the grits with the Pa Pa Fritz breakfast special. The homemade biscuits were delicious but very filling. The Breakfast Tacos were so tasty, too!
Schilo's started as a saloon in the 1900s in Beeville, TX. "Papa" Fritz Schilo moved the saloon and his family to San Antonio in 1914, and Mama Schilo started serving some of her classic German recipes a few years later in 1917. All was well in the world, as Mama and Papa Schilo settled into the hustling, bustling big city of San Antonio as the restaurant and saloon started to build the first generation of happy Schilo’s customers.
Mama Schilo’s timing was perfect - in 1920 prohibition hit America, closing all saloons, but the Schilo’s fortunately didn’t keep all their (deviled) eggs in one basket. While the rest of the country’s establishments shut their doors, at Schilo’s the beer kegs were rolled out of the coolers, and the famous Schilo’s Family Root Beer kegs rolled in and filled the tap lines to quench their patron’s thirst. The frosty mugs stayed frosty, root beer suds ran down their sides, and the Schilo’s family prevailed!
In 1942, Schilo's moved to its current location which was originally a currency exchange bank. In fact, the original bank vault is now a walk-in cooler. After three generations of Schilos family operation, the Lyons family purchased the establishment in 1980 and has maintained the proud German, family-owned tradition of hard work, good cooking, and having fun. Now, 100 years old, Schilo's is the oldest operating restaurant in San Antonio.
When was the last time you saw a tin ceiling? My Aunt Irene used to have one in her apartment.
Ann tried her first taste of BBQ at County Line Ribs at the River Walk. Fun to watch the people cruise by while we ate.
The salad came with a pecan dressing. Very different but oh so delicious.
This is the first BBQ Ann ever ate. She thought it was very good. She did scrape off most of the sauce, though.
We decided to have High Tea at the MadHatters Tea House and Cafe.
The Tea Party for Two High Tea was a three tiered tower which included a pot of tea of our choice (Ann chose Silver Rain white tea) a scone, petit fours and the following tea sandwiches: spinach & chicken salad; smoked jalapeno tuna salad (exceptional) and a cucumber and cream cheese. Yummy!!!
I read an article talking about having High Tea to celebrate the marriage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. I found this quite interesting.
These are the 25 best places for UK- style High Tea in the U.S.
Davis, CA: Tea List
San Francisco, CA: The Rotunda
Atlanta, GA: Tipple & Rose Tea Parlor and Apothecary
Stony Brook, NY: Robinson's Tea Room
Las Vegas, NV: Tea Lounge
Plymouth, MI: Sweet Afton Tea Room
Gold Hill, OR: The Teapot on Wheels
Chicago, IL: Palm Court
Miami FL: Cauley Square Tea Room
Granite, MD: The Granite Rose Tea Parlour
San Antonio, TX: Madhatters Tea House & Cafe
Oviedo, FL: The Lemon Lily Tea Room & Bakery
Georgetown, CO: Dusty Rose Tea Room
Denver, CO: House of Commons
Phoenix, AZ: Tipsy Tea Party
Rockville Centre, NY: Chat Noir
Richardson, TX: Bangkok At Beltline
Salem, MA: Jolie Tea Company
Toms River, NJ: 600 Main Bed & Breakfast and Victorian Tea Room
Oak Park, IL: Serenitea Cafe and Boutique
Scottsdale, AZ: Lobby Tea Court at the Phoenician
Annapolis, MD: Reynolds Tavern
Anoka, MN: The Mad Hatter
Ann Arbor, MI: TeaHaus
Philadelphia, PA: Mary Cassatt Tea Room
I can't believe MadHatters ranks above the Phoenician in Scottsdale. I have had tea at both places. The cup at the Phoenician was china and you dress for High Tea. Look at the cup and the people from the MadHatters. Of course, the price at the MadHatters was way less expensive!
Tried BBQ a second time at Augies
Many years ago, Ann and her friend Bob stopped in San Antonio for a few hours on their way to California to visit the Alamo and the River Walk. They enjoyed an ice cream then, too.